Friday, February 3, 2012

99. Merle Haggard - I'm a Lonesome Fugitive


Artist: Merle Haggard
Album: I'm a Lonesome Fugitive
Year: 1967

Merle Haggard takes us back to really old-school sounding country. I don't have much to say about this one. Sometimes I say that, and I still end up writing a couple paragraphs. But this time it's for real. I have very little to say about this album.

Imagine you're tailgating at a NASCAR race circa 1970, knockin' back a few cold ones. This is the kind of music that helps set the scene. Haggard has a nice voice and these are some catchy, twangy songs. Certain ones like "Skid Row" have a kind of cheeky, self-deprecating charm to them. But is anything on this album really all that memorable, and does this belong among the 1001 albums I absolutely had to hear prior to becoming food for worms? Negative.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment