Wednesday, February 1, 2012

92. Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim


Artist: Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
Album: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
Year: 1967

This album combines the classic crooning of American icon Frank Sinatra with the music of Brazilian icon Antonio Carlos Jobim, the key figure in the bossa nova movement.

I thought this was just alright. Sinatra sounded a little off on this one. It's a pleasant album, but I have to admit that I prefer the Getz albums and the Astrud Gilberto as far as the bossa nova goes. Bossa nova works best in my opinion when it's upbeat. Sinatra leeches the energy out of it and it just feels a little like muzak to me. Plus, outside of the familiar "The Girl from Ipanema," all the songs kind of sound the same to me.

I guess I felt this was an unnecessary attempt to "class up" bossa nova. Frankly, it was a bit of a bore. Luckily it lasted a mere 28 minutes.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment