Tuesday, February 14, 2012

138. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country


Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Album: Bayou Country
Year: 1969

Well, after Trout Mask Replica, I gotta say this album was a little boring. Then again, what wouldn't be?

So we've got CCR here. Along with Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR is the band I most associate with the "Southern Rock" genre...funny given that John Fogerty and the gang were from the Bay Area. But they combine that Muddy Waters-ish Delta Blues sound with the prevailing rock sound to create something pretty original here.

Some good tunes on this one. "Born on the Bayou" evokes the heavy, humid air of the Deep South. "Proud Mary" is a classic ode to life on the river. I preferred the highly melodic "Bootleg" to anything else on this album. Other songs like "Graveyard Train" don't really add much to the mix, stretching out for 8 minutes and slowing down the forward propulsion of the album.

Overall this one was just "alright" for me. Southern Rock has never really been my thing, and I just don't really find this album that interesting. Fogerty has a good voice for the style, a unique, crisp-yet-bluesy bellow, and the songs are generally catchy, but there's not much to bring me back here. I really think this one could have easily been left out of the 1001 without being missed too much. It's not bad, but...meh.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment