Thursday, February 23, 2012

180. The Doors - Morrison Hotel


Artist: The Doors
Album: Morrison Hotel
Year: 1970

This is the second Doors album of the 1001. The first album was their self titled debut, which I thought was quite good. It had a lot of their bigger hits but I found the album tracks that weren't hits to be in some cases even better than their single counterparts.

Anyhow, Morrison Hotel. Pretty decent album. Starts off with the classic "Roadhouse Blues," which I have never really cared for. I have a personal vendetta against songs where "beer" is pronounced as a two-syllable word. All one of them. But anyhow, not my thing. I found some other good songs here, the funk-inflected "Peace Frog" and the mysterious "Waiting for the Sun" among them. Then there's "Blue Sunday," which was not at all far off from Scott Walker territory...a nice mellow tune.

The second half of the album was just a bore to me.

I want to like The Doors more than I do, but this album really did not connect with me. A few good songs here and there but it just feels "lesser" to me. Meh.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment