Thursday, February 9, 2012

127. The Band - Music from Big Pink


Artist: The Band
Album: Music from Big Pink
Year: 1968

The Band was Bob Dylan's backup band, and I think this album helps mark the beginning of the end of the psychedelic era. This is definitely an album where the songs are what drive the album--not the atmospherics, not the weird interludes. They definitely helped to usher in a more clear-minded sound in an era where weird was the norm.

I can hear a hint of bands like Counting Crows in this music, who stand as one of my favorite bands, but this one is not really for me. I don't care for the vocals and most of the songs were on the boring side. The big exception of course is "The Weight," among the most classic of classic rock songs. Great melody, great harmonies...the song shows off what The Band was capable of at their best. "This Wheel's On Fire" is another strong cut, but such tunes are few and far between here.

I don't know, I guess this one is a little too M.O.R. for me. It's good, tuneful music, well-played and all that jazz, but really vanilla by comparison to the other music going on at the time. Maybe that's the point. But shit like Train and Maroon 5 is M.O.R. these days, and I fucking hate that stuff. So kudos to The Band for being the lesser of two completely mediocre evils.

Rating: Not worth a listen (unless you are living under a rock and have never heard "The Weight")

No comments:

Post a Comment