Thursday, February 23, 2012

183. John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band


Artist: John Lennon
Album: John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
Year: 1970

Overall, I'd have to say that John Lennon is my favorite Beatle. His songs always ranged from insidiously melodic to deliciously weird, a combination I rather enjoy. Here he is, Yoko in tow, for Plastic Ono Band, his first solo album.

This one is an unflinching portrait of Lennon's personal demons, his distaste of modern class structure and religion, and his general worldview. The songs are a mix of soulful piano ballads and mid-tempo rockers for the most part.

I have to say I'm not crazy about this album like some people are. Plastic Ono Band seems to have quite a following since it was one of the first real "confessional" albums and was a real artistic statement during a time when John could've just tried to cash in on his celebrity. But an album for me is always about the songs, and I don't really love any of the songs on this album. The folky dirge "Working Class Hero" is the one I like best, but when compared with the "John Songs" from any latter day Beatles album, it pales by comparison. "Isolation," "Remember," and "Love" form a solid trifecta of affecting tunes in the middle of the album, demonstrating Lennon's range and depth as a songwriter.

Plastic Ono Band is definitely an album that deserves to be heard. It's unique in the rock canon up to this point and its confessional style would spawn many imitators. Is it an album I'd want to listen to every day? Absolutely not. Like I said, there aren't really many songs here that bring me back for repeat listens, and some like "Well, Well, Well" are just annoying to me, even if you do get to hear John Lennon positively scream--which I guess has to be worth something.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment