Tuesday, February 7, 2012

114. Leonard Cohen - The Songs of Leonard Cohen


Artist: Leonard Cohen
Album: Songs of Leonard Cohen
Year: 1968

Leonard Cohen's a Canadian folk singer-songwriter who I think is kind of the halfway house between Bob Dylan and say, Simon & Garfunkel. He's got the same literary/poetic sense as S&G but like Dylan, does not have what most folks would consider to be a "good" voice. He has a clear, deep voice, kind of speak-singing his way through the music.

I think it's hilarious that this album follows Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland. I really cannot think of two more totally different albums. Electric Ladyland had a kitchen-sink approach, was loud, cacophonous, and all over the map stylistically. Leonard Cohen's songs all sound about the same, and are generally quiet, stripped-down folk ballads.

I first heard this album a few years back after reading an article that praised the heck out of it. I have to admit that after hearing the album the first time, I did not understand the praise. I found the songs to be well-written, and the lyrics to be pretty cutting observations about the dynamics between men and women, but I really couldn't get into Cohen's voice. The more I listened, the more I began to get it. But the best songs in this set in my opinion are ones like "So Long, Marianne" that feature more classically pretty female backing vocals. The other problem I had with the album is that so many of the songs sound similarly. They kind of meander at the same lilting pace--even the phrasing of Cohen's vocals feels the same from song to song.

I will say this: it's probably the very first album among the 1001 where the lyrics entirely make the album. This album is offers absolutely no musical innovation (artists like Fred Neil, Bert Jansch, S&G were doing the same kind of stuff). But the stripped-down approach allows you to really focus on the lyrics, which are worth the price of admission here. It's definitely not for everyone, but close listens are rewarded here. Check out "Suzanne," "So Long, Marianne," and "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye."

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment