Sunday, February 19, 2012

168. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King


Artist: King Crimson
Album: In the Court of the Crimson King
Year: 1969

King Crimson...a band I have heard/read a lot about, but never before right now have I (knowingly) heard a single one of their songs. I reckon better late than never. After all, that's kind of the point of going through these 1001 albums...finding those gems that have eluded me over the years, and building up a more expansive knowledge of popular music. I can definitely say I'm way more versed on jazz, soul, psychedelia, and early rock than I was before starting this venture.

One area I'm only mildly versed in is Progressive Rock. I know Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, ELO, The Moody Blues, etc., but only know most of those bands in name only and a few of their bigger hits. So I'm excited to get some prog underway here.

Prog attempted to legitimize rock music and put it on par with classical music. Most of the big prog albums had some kind of theme (either musically or lyrically, or both), had unique instrumentation and rhythms, and borrowed heavily from the classical realm. This is the style of rock most often lampooned, since its grandiosity makes it an easy target for ridicule.

King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King was one of the pioneering albums of the genre, and understandably so: it is an absolute masterpiece and one of the best albums I have heard out of the 168 I've heard so far. Definitely Top 10, and maybe Top 5. It alternates between big jazzy riffs and quieter chamber music interludes, which each song adding something unique to the mix. "20th Century Schizoid Man" is a great opener, big and brassy with some distorted vocals before devolving into awesome sax and guitar solos. "I Talk to the Wind" gives Greg Lake's vocals a chance to shine, it's a much needed cool down after a pummeling opener. "Epitaph" is my favorite here, both mellow and totally rocking with shimmering acoustic guitar and pulsing drums. The template for 70's Pink Floyd is established here. "Moonchild" starts off with a pretty pastoral interlude before giving way to relaxed free jazz. The basic melody of "The Court of the Crimson King" totally reminded me of Radiohead's "The Tourist," the closer to that band's landmark OK Computer. It's got choral vocals to support its lyrics, an Arthurian kind of legend. What a tremendous closer. And that's the album. A masterpiece through and through. Love it.

Rating: Indispensable

No comments:

Post a Comment