Monday, February 20, 2012

170. Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief

Artist: Fairport Convention
Album: Liege and Lief
Year: 1969

This one follows Unhalfbricking from earlier in 1969 as Fairport kept churning out quality material. The prior album was a mix of originals, traditional folk, and Bob Dylan covers. I thought it was alright...most notable for the vocals of Sandy Denny.

Liege and Lief is an album nearly fully comprised of traditional English folk songs, and I've gotta say, that choice suits the band extremely well. This album is definitely my favorite of the recent run of English folk albums that have been peppering the countdown (surpassing The Pentangle for supremacy), and in my opinion it kind of spins what most people's conception of what a "folk album" is on its head. When I think of traditional folk, I think of something bouncy and acoustic and usually at least a little pretty. Electricity is usually not part of the image.

Well on this album, Fairport Convention really rock the fuck out at certain points. "Tam Lin," for example, is a total barnstormer that is alternately really delicate and really heavy. Ditto for "Matty Groves," an epic in the murder ballad tradition. Songs like "Farewell, Farewell" cut things back a notch and let the beautiful vocals of Sandy Denny take over. I cannot believe this woman is not more renowned that she is. I really don't think she's all that far off from, say, Stevie Nicks.

I would, and will, listen to this one again.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment