Tuesday, February 14, 2012

142. Johnny Cash - At San Quentin


Artist: Johnny Cash
Album: At San Quentin
Year: 1969

At San Quentin is the second of Johnny Cash's prison-crashing albums, following in the wake of At Folsom Prison. I liked this one maybe a bit more. I thought it had a greater variety of songs, more material, and more of Cash's most famous material. Plus, I think Cash has better rapport with his audience on At San Quentin than on the prior album. Things felt a little too rehearsed/staged on that album...here the performance is more raw.

I'm still not crazy about country music but Cash is no doubt one of its best songsmiths. "I Walk the Line," "A Boy Named Sue," "Ring of Fire"...all the classics are represented here in good form. Not really my thing, so I'll move right along...

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment