Monday, February 20, 2012

172. The Stooges - The Stooges


Artist: The Stooges
Album: The Stooges
Year: 1969

Really, really hard to believe this one came out in the 1960's. Although I guess it's not too far off from the same kind of territory The Velvet Underground were mining...which makes even more sense given that the VU's John Cale was producer on this one, The Stooges' debut.

This one is a garage-rock classic. I have to admit, I'd find this album even better if bands like The Sonics and The Monks hadn't put out similar stuff four years prior. And Iggy Pop sounds quite a bit like Mick Jagger to my ears. But the guitar assault here is really primal and songs like "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "No Fun" have a punkish, infectious charm. The 10-minute exercise in futility known as "We Will Fall" detracts from the overall success of the album, but it's still very entertaining on the whole. Definitely way ahead of its time.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment