Friday, February 3, 2012

98. Donovan - Sunshine Superman


Artist: Donovan
Album: Sunshine Superman
Year: 1967

I'm not sure whether the book is intending for me to listen to the US version or the UK version of this album, so I'm going to go with the UK version. Donovan is from the UK, after all.

I've listened to Donovan a fair bit in the past. Songs like "Sunshine Superman," "Mellow Yellow," and "Hurdy Gurdy Man" always seem to find their way into Wes Anderson films and the like...if I remember correctly, "Hurdy Gurdy Man" was prominently featured during some pivotal scenes of David Fincher's Zodiac. I've always found his music whimsical and a bit campy, but undeniably pretty at times.

Evidently Donovan was the UK's answer to Bob Dylan, and outside of both playing in the folk idiom, I can't say I hear much comparison. For starters, Donovan has a good voice, soft and resonant. Secondly, Dylan's music tends to be kind of "in your face" (either by volume or by message--obviously a lot of Bob Dylan's music is quite political). Donovan sings pretty love songs about wizards and witches and stuff. It's the virtual definition of hippy-dippy. But it's all pretty enchanting stuff.

Sunshine Superman has several really strong tracks. The title track was a huge hit and it's not a bad song, but far from the best one to be found here. "Three Kingfishers" uses sitar to great hypnotic effect, and "Season of the Witch" shows Donovan at his most rockin', a great slice of organ-drenched psychedelia that I'm pretty sure I've heard in a movie at some point. Can't remember which.

Overall, this album is not too memorable past a few songs, but it has some great moments and I can see why it was included in the 1001. It offers a different, kind of "old-world" take on psychedelia (rooted in Scottish folk music) that seems like it could've been influential on bands like Led Zeppelin that would mine similar folky territory.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment