Saturday, February 18, 2012

158. MC5 - Kick Out the Jams


Artist: MC5
Album: Kick Out the Jams
Year: 1969

Kick Out the Jams is one of the albums that truly laid out the groundwork for the advent of punk. It's a live performance by Detroit rock band MC5, and I can see how their brand of incendiary noise rock would have been even more influential than the headier proto-punk of The Velvet Underground.

The opening track "Rambling Rose" and the title track "Kick Out the Jams" are undeniably spirited and infectious, but I've gotta say I consider the rest of it quite a turgid mess. So I guess I can see how this is a pioneering record from an aesthetic standpoint, but I really didn't think it was very good.

I wish I had more to say about this one, but it really is one of the weaker albums I've heard in awhile. Give a listen to the title track to get a sense for what this band was all about and the kind of ethic they stood for, and move right along...

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment