Saturday, February 18, 2012

159. The Temptations - Cloud Nine


Artist: The Temptations
Album: Cloud Nine
Year: 1969

The Temptations were perhaps the most significant band on the legendary Motown Records at this time, and Cloud Nine represents one of the band's most famous albums.

Outside of a couple songs like "My Girl," I can't say I had much exposure to The Temptations prior to this album. I enjoyed this album. The singing is great, and the songs themselves are all really slick and classy. I didn't care for their rendition of the classic "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" here, but other songs like "Cloud Nine," "I Need Your Lovin'," and "I Gotta Find a Way" helped make up for that. The Temptations are in such great control of their craft that this album really seems very effortless.

There's nothing that's going to bring me back to this one for a repeat listen, it's simply not my preferred genre to listen to leisurely. But for what it is, Cloud Nine is a very well-made record and for those of the R&B persuasion, this album probably represents a peak of the genre.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment