Thursday, February 23, 2012

179. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath


Artist: Black Sabbath
Album: Black Sabbath
Year: 1970

This was my first experience listening to a Black Sabbath album. Metal has never been "my" genre, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect here. I figured it would be loud vocals, really heavy guitars with extended solos, and a major emphasis on bass.

What I got was not at all dissimilar from stuff I've heard before on this list. It wasn't too far from Jeff Beck or Led Zeppelin, really--blues rock with virtuosic guitars. If anything, a lot of these songs had a really poppy sensibility to them. "N.I.B." was my favorite of the group, a song with the kind of chunky riff that was even reminiscent of what the Detroit garage rockers were doing around the same time. The vocals, courtesy of none other than Ozzy Osbourne, suit the band's style quite well. The lyrics are stereotypically metal--myth-based with devil reference popping up all about.

I didn't love this stuff and probably won't listen to Black Sabbath outside of this countdown, but I can see how certain people would connect with this kind of thing. If anything I was surprised at how melodic it is...but I guess any "riff-based" music would/should be...

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment