Saturday, February 18, 2012

152. Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis


Artist: Elvis Presley
Album: From Elvis in Memphis
Year: 1969

At the same time Dusty Springfield was should have been taking Memphis by storm, so was the city's most famous native son, Mr. Elvis Presley. It's been awhile since we've heard from Elvis in these proceedings. If I remember correctly, we heard his debut album with "Blue Suede Shoes" and "Tutti Frutti" among others, which I found to be a great introduction to the man's music. And then we heard another of his albums from after he returned from his military service. I can't say that one had much impact on me one way or the other.

This album shows Elvis largely abandoning "rock" in favor of soul (much like Miss Dusty), and the transition suits him well. This is an album that really put a smile on my face. You can really tell Elvis is having a good time singing these tunes, and there are some real winners among them. "Wearin' that Loved On Look" and "Only the Strong Survive" serve as a great opening duo, "Long Black Limousine" has the feel of a great gospel ballad, and the big hit here "In the Ghetto" is superb.

All in all this is a fun album and my favorite of the three Elvis albums I've heard. I think the softer, more mellow soul music is the best match for Elvis' dulcet strains. This album, along with a 1968 Christmas special on NBC, helped return Elvis to popular relevancy: it's easy to see why.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment