Wednesday, February 1, 2012

93. The Doors - The Doors


Artist: The Doors
Album: The Doors
Year: 1967

The Doors' debut album plays as a louder, brasher, bluesier brother to Love's Forever Changes. Like Love, The Doors played rock with flourishes of classical music and jazz, and both were led by inimitable frontmen--in the case of The Doors, Jim Morrison. But where Love was generally quiet and reflective, The Doors pump up the volume and add swirling organ for texture.

Lots of good songs to be found in this set. Classics, even. "Break on Through," "Twentieth Century Fox," "Light My Fire," and "The End" all show off Morrison's charisma and serve as statements of the band's M.O. I'd have to say my favorite song in this set was one I had not heard before, "The Crystal Ship." On this song Morrison's voice has the quality of a crooner and the band adds gorgeous piano to their mix. Another favorite is "Take It As It Comes"; I am surprised that one did not become a hit for the band.

I've never been that crazy about The Doors. My wife is a big fan, but there's something about them that I don't connect with. There's no denying they wrote catchy songs, songs that would come to define the era in some respect, and deliver them with a theatrical flair. For me, this is a good collection of songs: certainly worth listening to but not something I'm likely to revisit.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment