Friday, February 3, 2012

95. The Young Rascals - Groovin'


Artist: The Young Rascals
Album: Groovin'
Year: 1967

Took me awhile to track this one down, because searches for "The Young Rascals" did not yield this album. Only once I realized that The Young Rascals were better known as simply "The Rascals" did my task become easier.

I wasn't looking forward to listening to this album. For those following along, you'll remember that soul music and I have a somewhat checkered relationship, and The (Young) Rascals were just white boys copping the style.

But really, this was much more than a soul album. Some of the songs had that kind of thing going on, like the title track and "Find Somebody." But other songs have more of a Latin feel ("Sueno," "I Don't Love You Anymore"), and others fall squarely into the Sunshine Pop category ("I'm So Happy Now"). And you know what? It was pretty good. Really catchy, tight tunes in spades here. I guess maybe I find soul more palatable when it's mixed with some other genres. I thoroughly enjoyed this album, start to finish. There wasn't a bad track.

For some reason this album reminded me of some of Chicago's early material. Without the horns, I guess. Weird. I hope CTA is coming up soon...love that album!

Rating: Worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment