Thursday, February 23, 2012

176. Derek & The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs


Artist: Derek & The Dominos
Album: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
Year: 1970

Often considered to be singer/guitarist Eric Clapton's finest moment, Derek & The Dominos' Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs was kind of hit and miss for me. As usual, there is no doubt that Clapton is a fantastic guitarist, but also as usual, it's not really my thing.

A few songs here are outstanding and make this worth the price of admission: "Bell Bottom Blues" sounds to me like it would've fit in on Abbey Road or Let It Be, and would have been a highlight on either of those albums. Of course there's the title track, "Layla," in its original electric incarnation here. Great song. The cover of Hendrix' "Little Wing" is really nice and smooth, and while I liked the original, I prefer this version.

Aside from those, the other songs have a harder time separating themselves from the crowd, and many stretch out to 7, 8, and 9 minute lengths, making this double album a sort of endurance test. If all the songs were up to the same level as the best stuff here, I would have a much higher impression of this album. For now, I'm glad I listened to it, but it's one I'd rather enjoy in small doses rather than all at once like I did now.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment