Friday, February 17, 2012

147. Bee Gees - Odessa


Artist: Bee Gees
Album: Odessa
Year: 1969

One of the parts of this project that I'm kind of dreading is the "disco" part. Dance music, or dancing in general, is not really my thing so much, so I expect that part to be pretty challenging to get through. Of course, the Bee Gees later will become one of the key performers of that genre.

But the Bee Gees found on Odessa are a completely different animal. Odessa is for all intents and purposes a pop/rock album with orchestral flourishes. And for the style, it's really quite good. I was sucked in by the piano/oboe infused "Suddenly," the mildly proggy Moody Blues soundalike "I Spit in Your Face," and the ultra-pretty Beatlesque "Melody Fair."

Less successful were the opener "Odessa" and especially "Edison," which I just found annoying. The album is definitely too long...after a while the Bee Gees' warbling voices can get a little grating...after an hour, I was definitely ready for this album to be over.

A few of these songs are real gems that I absolutely never would have heard without doing this project, so I'm glad for that. "I Spit in Your Face" is worth the price of admission here, especially for anyone who has an affinity for prog-rock...this is an early incarnation of the style in my opinion. Check it out.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment