Sunday, February 19, 2012

162. Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority


Artist: Chicago
Album: Chicago Transit Authority
Year: 1969

Chicago is a band like Blood, Sweat, and Tears who (at least early in their long career) existed on the boundary of jazz and rock. CTA is their debut, which features some of the band's most classic tunes, as well as some of their most experimental material. As such, it's kind of a mixed bag, but I'd say its strengths outshine its weaknesses. At least it's a very far cry from their later adult-contemporary stuff, which is just godawful.

I'm going to change the format here a little bit. I have absolutely no idea if anyone but myself will ever read these write-ups, so I'm inclined not to write so much and just state what I liked, what I didn't, and get on with it. So here goes:

The highlights: "Beginnings," "Does Anybody Really Ever Know What Time It Is?," "Questions 67 and 68," "I'm a Man"--all are great songs, breezy horns, swirling melodies, just an epic sound that combines light jazz with Brill Building pop with some rock guitar.

The negatives: "Liberation" is a tedious, 13-minute closer that doesn't do much for me. "Free Form Guitar" is a lengthy exercise in, well, not much of anything but guitar noodling. Not my cup of tea.

Overall: A great album, fun and breezy pop/rock with horns. Some great songs. I love "Beginnings." The experimental pieces only serve to lengthen the album and drop its prestige in my opinion, but not to the point that this isn't worth listening to. Far from it.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment