Friday, February 3, 2012

100. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?


Artist: The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Album: Are You Experienced?
Year: 1967

Here's the god of guitar, Jimi Hendrix. I can't say I've really had much exposure to Hendrix' music outside of his hits that made the radio ("Foxy Lady," "Purple Haze," "Hey Joe"), all of which are songs that I find "cool" but not something I'd regularly choose to listen to.

Anyhow, this one was Hendrix' debut album, and it was pretty good. There's some psychedelia, some soul, some poppier stuff, some blues, all featuring the inimitable guitar of Hendrix. I especially liked "Stone Free" and "The Wind Cries Mary." This really kind of marked the beginning of a "sloppier" way of playing the guitar, with feedback/distortion ruling the day, rather than a purer sound. Of course that trend would persist into the era of hard rock and later into more experimental bands like Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine.

I'd have to say I enjoyed this Hendrix album. I found it amazing that this was his debut. It's as if his "signature" sound arrived fully formed without having to refine it much.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment