Sunday, January 29, 2012

87. Love - Forever Changes


Artist: Love
Album: Forever Changes
Year: 1967

Love's Forever Changes is an album I found in a bargain bin for $1.99 when I was 17 years old. To say that I've gotten my money's worth out of this album is laughably obvious. It is one of the finest albums in my collection, an unflinching masterpiece that is both timeless and completely of its time.

I'm really not going to say much about this album. This is another one of those albums that nearly everything has been said about. Basically all that needs to be said about this one is that there are no bad songs here, many great ones ("Alone Again Or," "The Red Telephone," "...Between Clark and Hilldale" to name a few), and each subsequent song feels like a logical extension of the one that came before. It's an album of lyrical genius. I think at its heart it's an anti-war album; there are moments of startling poetic clarity throughout. The arrangements (including strings and brass throughout) feature Arthur Lee's vocals high in the mix, allowing his words to worm their way into your subconscious.

This album is the peak of psychedelia, even more so than Sgt. Pepper's. Absolutely essential listening.

Rating: Indispensable

No comments:

Post a Comment