Thursday, January 19, 2012

31. Ray Charles - Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music


Artist: Ray Charles
Album: Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
Year: 1962

Ray Charles doing a country album? Yes indeed. I was excited about this one after really liking the last Charles album I listened to.

This album did not disappoint. Charles' ultra-smooth vocals work very well on these songs, a mix of country ballads ("You Don't Know Me"), upbeat stompers ("Bye Bye Love") and honky-tonk ("You Win Again") with lush, orchestral backing. I love Ray Charles' voice way more than I ever expected to. I really don't have much to say about this one. If you look up "good music" in the dictionary, not that you could, because it's two words, but you get the point...there would be a picture of this album. All the aforementioned songs are great, especially "You Don't Know Me." There also aren't any bad songs.

From a historical perspective...I wonder if this album was at all controversial in its day...a black performer singing predominantly "white" music...and quite frankly, beating them at their own game.

I think I'm fully over my previous irrational dislike of Ray Charles. The voice is great, the music is smooth, he can tackle a variety of styles successfully...he can pretty much do no wrong. Great stuff.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment