Monday, January 23, 2012

47. Buck Owens and His Buckaroos - I've Got a Tiger by the Tail


Artist: Buck Owens and His Buckaroos
Album: I've Got a Tiger by the Tail
Year: 1965

Oh boy. It's another country album. This one's a real doozy. When people think of that stereotypical redneck honky-tonkin', twangy country sound, their thoughts are probably not too far off from this Mister Rogers-lookin' mofo. Oh wait, even worse, it's the guy from Hee Haw, quite possibly the nadir of pre-1980's popular culture. From the first 10 seconds of this album I got the feeling I was in for an excruciating half-hour.

I'll be damned if this wasn't half-bad. That doesn't mean it was half-good, mind you, but it didn't suck. "Wham Bam" is a dirty little charmer, and the title track is catchy as all can be. Nothing too deep to be found here, but it's on the whole a fun little album that introduces some of that rock-and-roll energy into the traditional country sound.

Of the country stuff, I have to say I vastly prefer Marty Robbins' "Big Iron" and "El Paso" as well as Ray Charles' foray into the genre, but I guess there's room for Buck Owens, too.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment