Sunday, January 15, 2012

7. Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers


Artist: Frank Sinatra
Album: Songs for Swingin' Lovers
Year: 1956

This album was pretty much the opposite of the last Sinatra album (In the Wee Small Hours). Whereas that album was a contemplative affair with very little accompaniment, this one is happier, brighter, and has a full orchestra to boot.

There are some bonafide classics here. "You Make Me Feel So Young" is probably the most famous cut here, and it's a great tune despite its popular oversaturation. Try watching any Diane Keaton rom-com from the past twenty years for an example. "Pennies from Heaven," "Makin' Whoopee," and Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" are some other famous songs in this group.

I have no real objection to this album. The songs are catchy, the instrumentation is vibrant, and Sinatra's voice is smooth as silk. But I have to admit that I find In the Wee Small Hours the more interesting album. Not better, per se, but more interesting. I guess it's like comparing Johnnie Walker Red Label and Black Label. Both will get the job done, but Black Label has that extra nuance, know what I mean?

Sinatra is a spectacular crooner, but I really don't see myself coming back to his albums for repeated listens. Songs for Swingin' Lovers is a little too plain, a little paint-by-numbers for my taste. File under easy listening...

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment