Wednesday, January 18, 2012

26. Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back!


Artist: Elvis Presley
Album: Elvis Is Back!
Year: 1960

After a couple years of being away on military service, Elvis Is Back! marked Elvis Presley's return to the popular spotlight. This one was a more varied affair than his debut album, offering a wider showcase for his vocal stylings. There are rockers here like "Make Me Know It," torchers like "Fever," and blues, jazz, and gospel influences throughout the album. The backing vocals are full of little doo-wop flourishes that worked nicely.

I must admit, I liked the youthful, exuberant Elvis better than this album's incarnation. Stylistically this is be a step forward, and I definitely enjoyed the upbeat tunes like "Make Me Know It" and "Such a Night." There's a lot of slower material on this album that didn't quite work for me. "Fever" is a classic but I think it works better with a female vocalist. Songs like "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" and "It Feels So Right," among others, feel like filler to me.

I guess I simply prefer the more upbeat Elvis stuff. None of this music really speaks to me lyrically, and I can take or leave Elvis as a vocalist. I'd imagine this one is popular among Elvis acolytes, but it wasn't my favorite. Worth checking out only for the two or three killer tunes.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment