Friday, January 27, 2012

70. The Rolling Stones - Aftermath



Artist: The Rolling Stones
Album: Aftermath
Year: 1966

Aftermath represents The Rolling Stones' first album of all-original material.

I have to admit that the Stones are not really grabbing my ear in the same way as the other British artists of the time. I prefer The Beatles, The Who, and The Kinks. Aftermath has a few catchy tunes ("Mother's Little Helper," "Under My Thumb") but a ton of filler. You can tell they are trying to offer the same kind of experience as The Beatles. They use sitar on "Mother's Little Helper" and dulcimer on "Lady Jane." Marimba on a few other songs. They have some Bob Dylan-ish tunes like "High and Dry." They just aren't very good. And Mick Jagger is really a rather mediocre singer. Songs like "Stupid Girl" and "Think" are just sophomoric and awful.

And I haven't even mentioned the 12-minute abomination that is "Goin' Home." What a dreadful slog of a song.

Again, I ask the question, how on Earth is this the band that persisted longest of all the British bands of the 1960's? How are they among the most loved bands of all-time? Until I hear an album that proves otherwise, I have to think that The Rolling Stones are a gigantic hoax perpetrated by the music industry. This is music for people not intellectual enough to appreciate better.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment