Thursday, January 19, 2012

29. Muddy Waters - Muddy Waters at Newport


Artist: Muddy Waters
Album: Muddy Waters at Newport
Year: 1960

So before now, I always thought Muddy Waters was the name of a band. Turns out, it's the name of a guy. With his given name being McKinley Morganfield, I'd probably go by Muddy Waters too.

Waters was a bluesman from the Mississippi Delta, and this recording was evidently the one that made blues "safe" for white audiences. For me, it was just alright. "Hoochie Coochie Man" establishes the well-known riff that George Thorogood would popularize on "Bad to the Bone." "Got My Mojo Working" is a great song and is a good demonstration of Waters' powerful, kind of growling voice.

Blues in general just doesn't do much for me. I guess I'm just more of a Beatles guy than a Stones guy; I reckon we'll find out for good once we get through all of their albums later this decade. Again, I think it comes down to the fact that I can't relate as well to more soulful kinds of music, or at least this type. The music is kind of boring and the lyrics are stereotypical and repetitive. It doesn't engage me intellectually. Then again, I doubt it's meant to.

Muddy Waters at Newport is an album I admire, and I wish I liked it more, but I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment