Monday, January 23, 2012

44. Solomon Burke - Rock 'N' Soul



Artist: Solomon Burke
Album: Rock 'N' Soul
Year: 1964

These 1001 albums are really starting to bog down with filler a little bit. Here's another album I really didn't care for. It was fine.

Burke is a soul singer with a nice voice, but in my estimation comes off as kind of a third-rate Ray Charles or Sam Cooke. He's in the same vein as both of those other performers, but whereas Charles and Cooke wrote or at least sang memorable tunes, there's not a single song on Rock 'N' Soul whose melody I recall, and I just finished listening to the album a minute ago. "You Can't Love 'Em All" had a little Latin flair to it, lending some much-needed levity to the proceedings. The opening drumbeat to "Cry to Me" plays off as a kind of nascent version of The Zombies' "Time of the Season" which is kind of cool--but the similarities between the two songs end there.

Outside of Ray Charles, I'm really not feeling soul music. It's just not interesting to me. Hoping there are fewer and fewer of these sorts of albums in the 1001 going forward...

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment