Sunday, January 15, 2012

6. Duke Ellington - Ellington at Newport


Artist: Duke Ellington
Album: Ellington at Newport
Year: 1956

When I was a kid, jazz music was the first music I really liked. I had a set of "Big Band Hits" that covered about eight cassette tapes full of classics by artists like Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, and of course Duke Ellington, very possibly my favorite of the bunch. As time went on and I entered my teenage years, my love of jazz faded into the background as the alternative rock era ramped up, but I reckon I'll always have a soft spot for big band music.

This album features Duke's famous performance at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival, a set that led to a crowd riot and which helped rejuvenate interest in his music. Lots of his most famous material is represented here: "Sophisticated Lady" with its smooth baritone sax, an abbreviated "Mood Indigo" as the show's closing number, and of course "Take the 'A' Train," which I believe could be the absolute quintessential tune of the big band era. I like this version of "Take the 'A' Train" in the sense that it kind of teases the audience with an extended piano intro before the horns kick it into high gear two minutes in. It's just a perfect song, one of the best of any era.

The real winner in this set is "Diminuendo in Blue/Crescendo in Blue" with its jaw-dropping 7-minute interlude solo by tenor saxophonist Paul Gonsalves with the band, and eventually the crowd, audibly cheering him on. Hard to believe today that a saxophone solo could spark a crowd riot, but it happened here. The fact that they got it on tape is the most awesome part. It's a thrilling highlight to a tremendous performance.

Anyone serious about jazz must hear this.

Rating: Indispensable

No comments:

Post a Comment