Thursday, January 26, 2012

64. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde


Artist: Bob Dylan
Album: Blonde on Blonde
Year: 1966

I'd first listened to Blonde on Blonde a few years ago, in an attempt to get into Bob Dylan's music at that time. I'd read somewhere that it was his most accessible album. I found myself unable to connect with it. The samey-ness of Dylan's vocals, the omnipresent harmonica, the meandering songs, the sheer length of the album (over 70 minutes)....it was all a little much for me. I wondered if I would find more appreciation for the album after listening to, and mostly liking, Dylan's earlier material.

I would indeed find more to like this time out. I definitely disagree with whoever said it's the most accessible Dylan album, though. I think Bringing It All Back Home is waaay more accessible than this one. If anything Blonde on Blonde feels like more of an album that would appeal most to Dylan acolytes. The songs are mostly slower, moodier, and more contemplative.

It all starts off with the classic "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35," which is one of the silliest songs virtually ever with its super-thinly-veiled double meaning of the famous line "Everybody must get stoned!" The instrumentation on this song is interesting, like some kind of marching band on acid, woozy and imprecise. I find the song rather obnoxious.

If you dig deeper into this album, you'll find some real gems. "Visions of Johanna" is probably among the best Dylan songs I've heard. "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" is 10-minutes of gorgeous folk-pop. "4th Time Around" sounds like a ripoff of The Beatles' "Norwegian Wood," believe it or not. I thought Dylan was the one everyone else ripped off?

Overall, I found this album enjoyable, preferring the ballads to the rockier tunes. I still don't know if, at the end of the project, I'll listen to Dylan of my own volition, but I think I can see now why so many people like his music.

Rating: Worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment