Friday, January 27, 2012

73. John Mayall - Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton



Artist: John Mayall
Album: Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton
Year: 1966

It's time for another blues album. This time it's not from the American South, but rather the shores of the mighty Thames. A hotbed of blues music if there ever was one.

Blues hasn't been my favorite genre in going through these albums, so I tried to approach this one with an open mind. I put on headphones, turned it up extra loud, closed my eyes, and just tried to let it wash over me. Sad to say, this approach did not yield a different result.

There was some fantastic guitar playing here courtesy of none other than Eric Clapton, who I guess a lot of people say is the best, or at least among the best, guitarists around. Instrumentals like "Hideaway" show off his virtuosic skill. There were a couple mildly memorable songs here like "What'd I Say" and "All Your Love." But mostly it's just standard 12-bar blues music (where most of the non-aforementioned songs sound exactly the same) with some admittedly skilled guitar wankery. Blah.

Rating: Not worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment