Tuesday, January 24, 2012

54. B.B. King - Live at the Regal


Artist: B.B. King
Album: Live at the Regal
Year: 1965

B.B. King is among the most famous of all guitarists. He's a bluesman--his music isn't too far from Muddy Waters and Ray Charles terrain.

This album was a real treat. I think this might be my favorite of all the blues albums I've heard. King has a smoothness to his delivery and the guitar on this album really soars. If you've been following along here you'll know I'm not too much of a blues/soul aficionado, but this guy lends more of a "rock vocal" to the proceedings, somehow making it a little more palatable to my honky ass. King has a really nice rapport with the crowd, doing little introductions for a number of the songs. It's one of those live albums that makes you feel like you're there.

The highlight here for me was "How Blue Can You Get" -- which features the lyrics: "I've been downhearted, baby, ever since the day we met." Immediately, I was like, damn...I've heard that before!



It's sampled in the Primitive Radio Gods' "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand," a damn fine song by one of the 1990's long-forgotten one-hit wonders. It was nice to hear the original, in its intended context. Great tune, any way you slice it.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment