Wednesday, January 25, 2012

61. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds


Artist: The Beach Boys
Album: Pet Sounds
Year: 1966

Revolver, and now Pet Sounds? It's time for the big guns, apparently.

This one has long been a favorite of mine. I haven't heard an album quite like it before or since. I guess Panda Bear's Person Pitch goes for something akin, but it's just a tad weird for my taste.

Yeah, Pet Sounds. How do I sum up my feelings on this album? Everything's been said about this one. Nothing I type right now will add anything new to the proceedings. But what is the point of this blog anyway? Too many of my posts here are turning into "synopses" of the albums. The intent is for me to say what I think of the albums, what I like, what I dislike, what works for me, what doesn't. I don't need to give the history lesson every time. So I won't say that this album was Brian Wilson's attempt to outdo Rubber Soul. As far as I know, I am the only one who will ever read this!!!! I could say that Pet Sounds blows and there would be no one to "correct" me. It's the old tree-in-the-forest thing: if you write a blog without any readers, does it really exist? I guess it depends on the intent. Do I want people to read this someday? Or is it really "just for me"? I know there's an answer...

Did you get that one?

So, Pet Sounds. This is quite simply the pinnacle of pop music. The wall-of-sound style recording technique is done to perfect effect here. The singing is beautiful. The instrumentation is unique and there's not a note out of place. The album flows perfectly from song to song.

Do I have any problems with it? I don't know. I love the album, but I can never seem to put it into my upper echelon. It feels just a little sterile. It's too perfect. The thing is, if this album was scuzzed up just a hair, a note out of place here or there, a little screech of delay pedal, it would feel more human. As warm as this album is, it always leaves me a little cold. As immediate as the songs are, they just feel a little impenetrable. Maybe you, mystery reader, know what I mean?

Anyhow. The songs here are masterpieces. "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "I'm Waiting for the Day," "God Only Knows": all of these are among the best pop songs you'll ever hear. This album is a must-listen for anyone serious about music.

Rating: Indispensable

No comments:

Post a Comment