Wednesday, January 25, 2012

59. The Who - My Generation


Artist: The Who
Album: My Generation
Year: 1965

The Who would eventually go on to become one of the greatest arena rock bands of all-time. On their debut My Generation, they display a knack for catchy songwriting and offer a blistering attack of guitars.

Hate to say it, but overall I found this album to have a ton of filler. Maybe it's just that the good songs are REALLY good, I don't know. But about half of these songs are unremarkable. The other half are absolutely great. "My Generation" is an energetic and downright angry rush of a tune; more than that, it kind of lays out the band's modus operandi at the time--we're going to live it up during our youthful years and if you don't like it, tough. "Out in the Street" sounds somewhat like one of the band's later hits, "Who Are You?" "The Good's Gone" is a slower song that very well could be the beginning of drone rock...it kind of feels a little shoegazer-ish to me! The Dandy Warhols have made an entire career out of trying to replicate songs like this. I love it. The best song in this set is the Byrds-ish "The Kids Are Alright," which would become one of the big anthems of the "mod" era.

Though it's an uneven affair, I highly recommend this one. There are some fantastic, memorable songs here and it's easy to see why this band became wildly popular.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment