Friday, January 20, 2012

33. Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba



Artist: Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd
Album: Jazz Samba
Year: 1962

This is evidently the album that kick-started the bossa nova movement in America, though I'm sure in certain circles it was already well-known (those who had seen Black Orpheus for example). Anywho, this is Stan Getz (tenor sax) and Charlie Byrd (guitar) doing a faithful take on South American bossa nova.

This is summery music right here, the stuff of Coronas-with-lime. Both players on the album are in full command of their instruments and of the material. I like Getz as a sax player in general. He's no Paul Desmond (I really wonder how Desmond would've fared with this material...I shudder to think how good it would be), but his somewhat reedy, hollow sound works well with this light fare. Byrd's guitar shines when given the chance to solo, but works really well as a foil for Getz's tenor.

A few songs here are classics. "Desafinado" is a masterpiece with an instantly recognizable melody, and is probably the one of two songs to come to mind when most folks think of bossa nova, the other being "The Girl from Ipanema," which will be heard on an upcoming Getz album. I really liked the fifth song in this set too, "Samba de Una Nota So." One of my favorite bands, Stereolab, recorded a kick-ass version of it.

I can see why this one was popular in its day. It's exotic and yet extremely accessible. I dig it.

Rating: Worth repeated listens

No comments:

Post a Comment